Perl upgrade

Lars Eighner luvbeastie at larseighner.com
Sat May 9 13:34:32 UTC 2009

On Sat, 9 May 2009, Jos Chrispijn wrote:

> Lars Eighner wrote:
>> On Sat, 9 May 2009, Jos Chrispijn wrote:
>>
>> You must be new around here.
> Yes, I am L-)
>> The process described in UPDATING for upgrading to Perl 5.10 is relatively
>> painless compared to previous perl upgrades.  So much stuff depends upon
>> perl that:
> [snip]
>
> Do you recommend having Perl updated or should I stay with 5.8?

Unless you know there is something in 5.10 that you need now, I recommend
waiting at least a little bit.  Let the gotta-have-the-newest-shiny folks
take the sharp edges off.  Study the dependencies list from pkg_info and
dependencies of any big thing you plan to install.  If you are going to
(re-)build something big or a lot of little things anyway, it may make sense
to upgrade perl just before you do that so that rebuilding the ports that
depend on perl will kill two birds with one stone.  If such an opportunity
doesn't arise, maybe do it anyway about the time of the first frost ---
snuggle up in front of the blazing compiler and sip hot chocolate.

--
Lars Eighner
http://www.larseighner.com/index.html