Help creating bpf0 device (bpf won't do it for me)

D C invocatum at gmail.com
Fri May 8 22:37:40 UTC 2009

Hello,

I'm in the final stages of setting up a new wireless connection but have
been having problems getting bpf running.  For some reason, even though bpf
has been compiled into a new kernel, the system won't automatically create a
bpf0 device.  On boot, the system complains "pcap_open_live: (no devices
found) /dev/bpf0: No such file or directory".

The ultimate goal is to have this laptop connect wirelessly to my
WPA2-protected WAP (already working fine with other boxes) using a static
IP.

I've successfully compiled in support for the Atheros-based PCMCIA card,
edited rc.conf to exclude DHCP and to use wpa_supplicant.conf, and
eventually compiled in bpf when I started receiving the pcap_open_live
messages.

I suspect bpf is needed not for DHCP which is not running, but for some of
the parameters I added to wpa_supplicant.conf, which is as follows:

ctrl_interface=/var/run/wpa_supplicant
ctrl_interface_group=wheel

network={
ssid="my_ssid"
scan_ssid=1
proto=RSN
key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
pairwise=CCMP
psk="my_ssid"
}

If someone would be so kind as to explain what is calling bpf and how I can
create a bpf0 device by hand, I would be indebted.

Thanks...