What make is in 7.1?

illoai at gmail.com illoai at gmail.com
Fri May 8 17:24:24 UTC 2009

2009/5/6 Lars Eighner <luvbeastie at larseighner.com>:

> When I do man make I get a man page and it includes references to
> the pmake tutorial which seems to be basis of an HTMLize pmake
> tutorial in one of the books.
>
> But clearly the installed make is not the pmake described in the tutorial.
> The tutorial frequently suggest using Pmake -h for more details about
> particular points.  But in 7.1 make -h results in an illegal option message.
> There is no pmake or Pmake.  There is a pmake port but it won't build in
> 7.1.
>
> So it seems I have a lot of documentation for pmake, which clearly I don't
> have and can't get.  Where is the documentation for the make I do have?

Have you tried
% man /usr/share/man/man1/make.1.gz
?

% man -d make
. . .
searching in /usr/share/man
trying section 1 with globbing
globbing /usr/share/man/man1/make.1*
found ultimate source file /usr/share/man/man1/make.1.gz
to_name in convert_name () is: /usr/share/man/cat1/make.1.gz
will try to write /usr/share/man/cat1/make.1.gz if needed
. . .