Changing NIC

Johan Hendriks Johan at double-l.nl
Fri May 8 13:56:01 UTC 2009

>- FreeBSD 7.2-STABLE
>
>I am about the change the (working) nic of my FreeBSD server with a
>gigabit one.
>Logically I think it would be good to add the new nic first and test it
>and if it is working, just remove the old one (or leave it without cable).
>Is that the common way of doing such? Are there disadvantages with that?
>
>Jos Chrispijn

The only thing need to change is the line ifconfig_(interface_name)="xxx.xxx ...... in the file /etc/rc.conf If the server can be offline for some time, install the new NIC and remove the old one.
Then look in dmesg what name the new nic has, like bge0 or em0 or something like that.
Edit your /etc/rc.conf file so the line ifconfig_ has your new nic module name, like ifconfig_em0= and restart the network with /etc/netstart If all is working a final reboot and all should be OK

Regards,
Johan