FreeBSD on VMware ESXi

Brian A. Seklecki seklecki at noc.cfi.pgh.pa.us
Fri May 8 11:43:46 UTC 2009

On Wed, 2009-05-06 at 13:44 +0300, Daniels Vanags wrote:
> We moved Hard Disk Drives from HP ProLiant DL 385 G2 with 4GB RAM, AMD
> Opteron processor to HP ProLiant DL 380 G5, 4GB RAM, Intel Xeon
> processor.
>
> Disks contain FreeBSD Virtual Machines running in VMware ESXi Server.
> When trying to boot, getting error: BTX halted.
>
> Please explain, how to start FreeBSD on different hardware.

Well, assuming that HFUX's RAID, VMWare and Linux doesn't totally shit
the bed from the hypervisor CPU type change, the VMs are controllable
from the spiffy AJAX/.Net20 VMWare management console.

There's plenty of debugging available from there.

Presumably all of the virtual hardware presented to the VM will be the
same, except the CPU details.

~BAS