GSM modems

Andrea Venturoli ml at netfence.it
Fri May 8 09:41:49 UTC 2009

Hello.
I'm working on a project where we need to use GSM modems to be able to
send and receive short messages; right now this is implemented through
SMSTools.

We are having a lot of problems like the modem hanging and stopping any
communication with the computer, the modems suddenly saying the SIM card
is bad or that the ISP network is refusing registration.
Most of these are resolved by unplugging/replugging the modem.

I was wondering:
_ can (some of) these problems be FreeBSD related (e.g. USB driver
issue, or something)?
_ has anyone had any similar experience?
_ can someone suggest a brand/model which works fine? (We tried three
different ones, but all show some glitch).

  bye & Thanks
	av.