unable to boot with Nvidia AGP graphics card

Scott Parrish wsparrish at hotmail.com
Thu May 7 02:47:37 UTC 2009

Hi all,
Recently my PCI graphics card failed on my Dell Dimension 4100.  I replaced it with a known good card I had lying around:  an Nvidia GeForce 3 TI200 with an AGP interface.  My FreeBSD installation will not boot with this graphics card.  The boot loader hangs at the twirling baton as follows:
/boot/kernel/acpi.ko text=0x43698 data=0x23c0+0x10f0
syms=[0x4+0x7ba0+0x4+0xa828]
\

I'm running 7.1-RELEASE generic kernel.
Anyone ever see anything like this before?  Any ideas on how I can debug?  Is there anything I can do with the loader prompt to see what is happening when this occurs?
The keyboard still seems responsive when this happens (the caps-lock, num-lock, etc. still work).  It is almost as if the boot loader is unsure how to send output to the AGP bus.  I have tweaked every possible setting in the very limited BIOS but nothing helps.
BTW, I know that my hardware is good because this is a dual boot system and I am able to boot into Windows just fine.  I am also able to run Linux from a live cd.  However, I also tried a FreeBSD install disk and it hangs at the same place.
Thanks in advance for any help you can offer!
-William