filesystem: 12h to delete 32GB of data

Bill Moran wmoran at potentialtech.com
Wed May 6 18:29:54 UTC 2009

> It could just be me, but I swear Hardware RAID has been faster for many
> many years, especially with RAID5 arrays - or anything that requires
> parity calcs.  Most of my benchmarking was done on SCO OpenServer and
> Novell UnixWare and Netware, but hardware RAID controllers were always
> faster and of course required far less host CPU resources.  Raid
> 0/1/10/0+1/whatever arrays, I recall weren't as drastic, but I can't
> imagine the controller making as big a difference as the drives in the
> array - unless of course the drive for said controller sux!

Keep in mind that there are a LOT of RAID controllers out there, and
yes, some of them suck royally.  Especially the consumer-grade stuff
intended for people to use on their home systems.  I'd be willing
to bet that software RAID is faster than 90% of the consumer grade
RAID cards, and probably more reliable than most of them as well.

Controllers make a huge difference, even in server class RAID (in
my experience).  There is a significant gap in performance between
the good stuff and the good enough stuff.

--
Bill Moran
http://www.potentialtech.com