reducing Windows Vista to install FreeBSD dual-boot

Manolis Kiagias sonicy at otenet.gr
Wed May 6 10:26:54 UTC 2009

Matthias Apitz wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Maybe a bit off-topic (sorry for this). I've got a fresh Dell M4400
> laptop with 250 GByte, pre-installed Vista on it. Is there a way to
> reduce the Vista to let's say 50 GByte and install FreeBSD -CURRENT
> in the remaining 200 GByte, just to have the Vista later for some
> investigations, or whatever? Thx
>
> If not I will scratch the Vista, install FreeBSD and later in the rest
> of 50 GByte the Vista again.
>
> 	matthias

Sure, You can even reduce Vista's partition from Control Panel ->
Administrative Tools -> Computer Management -> Disk Management.  Right
click on the partition and select to shrink. The amount that it will
allow you to shrink will vary (probably depends on the fragmentation)
but I guess you will be able to get 50G on a 200G disk. Then install
FreeBSD as usual, but do not allow it to install any boot manager (it
will mess with Vista's BCD system). After installing, use EasyBCD (free
download) within Vista to add FreeBSD to the boot menu.