kernel errors - watchdog timeout

Mel Flynn mel.flynn+fbsd.questions at mailing.thruhere.net
Tue May 5 19:08:01 UTC 2009

On Friday 01 May 2009 16:12:50 Seur Bors wrote:

> I'm constantly getting the following repeated in my /var/log/messages:
>
> kernel: re0: watchdog timeout
> kernel: re0: link state changed to DOWN
> kernel: re0: link state changed to UP
>
> This was happening right from the get-go on new hardware running
> 7.1-Release-p4, but only happened infrequently. Apparently as well,
> although everything seems to be working, the server seems to be responding
> very sluggish (over 10 minutes to work with a 1MB file through a Samba
> share, no exageration on the time).
>
> Can someone point me to required reading for these types of networking
> errors?

DIAGNOSTICS
     re(4):
     re%d: watchdog timeout  The device has stopped responding to the network,
     or there is a problem with the network connection (cable).

In short: cable or hardware. If you're sure this is not the case, you should
file a PR and mention you switched out cables and (if possible) the card.
--
Mel