ATI woes

Old Crankbuster crankbuster at gmail.com
Tue May 5 09:47:02 UTC 2009

Thought I'd throw this one out there:

I installed release 7.1  while waiting for 7.2 to download, used the
handbook to configure X, get Gnome up and running, and start learning
the system.  The graphics chip on this laptop is ati hd 3200, and the
standard X radeon driver worked ok.

Cleaned everything off and installed 7.2, and the driver is borked using
the same method (enable dbus and hald in /etc/rc.conf, then run Xorg
-config): The screen is black with some tearing, and the machine accepts
no keyboard input to exit X, requiring a dirty reboot.

So cleaned everything off again, reinstalled 7.1 and will play there
until I can figure out how to upgrade the system without borking X.

Little alarm bells were going off in my head when I bought this thing
(I've had severe problems with ati chips under windows and linux in the
past), but it was cheap, and I needed a slab right away.

Sorry 'bout the rant, but ati sucks.

--
Cheers