lost+found

PJ af.gourmet at videotron.ca
Sat May 2 19:45:11 UTC 2009

A couple of days ago I had minor glitch as my FreeBSD box on my local
intranet had an unexpected shutdown.
When I fsck'd on reboot I was left with a few lost+found directories
with #999999 files. Most appeared inconsequential and could be deleted.
But there is one /tmp/lost+found that puzzles me. There are 3
subdirectories that act a little strangely.
[~]# cd /tmp/lost+found/#123456
[/tmp/lost+found/#123456]# ls
[/tmp/lost+found/#123456]# cd ..
[/tmp/lost+found/#123456]# cd #123456 this returns and empty directory)
[~]# ls (this returns the listing of the contents of /root

Whoops! What is going on? I'd like to delete this /tmp/lost+found/
directory but, being very wary, I don't want to take the risk (probably
none) to delete it since there is no indication that this is a symbolic
link and might delte the actual /root/ directory withoug getting some
information about this occurrence.
TIA.

--
Hervé Kempf: "Pour sauver la planète, sortez du capitalisme."
Phil Jourdan --- pj at ptahhotep.com
   http://www.ptahhotep.com
   http://www.chiccantine.com/andypantry.php