ndis0 interrrupt storm

Chris Whitehouse cwhiteh at onetel.com
Fri May 1 21:41:01 UTC 2009

Paul B. Mahol wrote:
> On 4/29/09, Chris Whitehouse <cwhiteh at onetel.com> wrote:
>> Hi all
>>
>> I'm trying to get a Linksys WPC54Gv5 wireless pccard working. It has a
>> Marvell 8335 chip. I've created a module with ndisgen and I can see
>> ndis0. When I up it with ifconfig I immediately get repeated messages:
>>
>> Apr 28 23:23:19 pcbsd kernel: interrupt storm detected on "irq11:";
>> throttling interrupt source
>>
>> As soon as I down the interface the messages stop.
>>
>> I've also tried starting ndis0 with polling
>>
>> # ifconfig ndis0 inet 192.168.1.20 polling
>>
>> but still get the messages. I guess this driver doesn't support polling.
>> Or I've got the syntax wrong.
>
> That command is not currently efective at all for ndisX(I yet have to
> see if it is possible).
>
>> According to vmstat -i irq11 is used by cbb0 and pcm0. ndis0 is on irq9
>>
>> irq9: cbb1 ndis0++
>>
>> This is on PCBSD 7.1 which is FreeBSD 7.2-PRERELEASE
>>
>> Any way I can get this thing working?
>
> Try yo disable cbbX if you dont use it or enable MSI for pcm0 (if possible).

This is a pcmcia card in a laptop so cbb is needed :( There is no
reference to msi in the pcm man page so I guess it is not available for
this system. (Paul I saw a post from you on multimedia about msi in hdac
and sure enough there is a reference to msi in snd_hda(4) man page). Am
I looking in the right place?

The bios is minimal so can't turn off sound or one channel of cbb.

Chris