French-Canadian Keyboard & keyboard switching

Frank Shute frank at shute.org.uk
Fri May 1 16:41:21 UTC 2009

On Wed, Apr 29, 2009 at 04:04:34PM -0400, PJ wrote:

[snip]

> > Check out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keyboard_layout#QWERTY
> > If you have Canadian Multilingual Standard, this option needs to be set
> > to "ca(multi)". If you have Canadian French, set it to "ca" or
> > "ca(fr)".
>
> This does not set it to the Canadian French; nor can I find anything
> that does... only my lame setup works using the French azerty (which is
> rather a pain because it involves complicated finger moves to get the
> accented characters - I'm familiar with it and can use it; it's just a pita.

To some extent it depends what applications you use. I use vim &
LaTeX.

In vim I can get digraphs for email etc. :help dig

For hardcopy I use LaTeX for some Finnish and, for example, umlauts are
\"{o} etc.

So basically I don't need a foreign keyboard because my applications
sort that out for me. I'd recommend using applications that don't need
digraphs entering from the keyboard.

> >> Option "XkbOptions" "grp:toggle"
> >
> > If you don't need layout switching just delete this.
> I guess I wasn't clear. Toggling was meant to mean switching back and
> forth; switching - just once. I would like to use switching but it seems
> to only work one way. Can't switch back. rtAlt switches from us to the
> ca (which oddly seems to mean French, but nothing to do with Canadian or
> French Canadian. Only fluxbox brings it back and then rtAlt no longer
> works. Weird.
> Any idea where the documentation is for this?

Check out ~/.fluxbox/keys and that it's not interfering. There's a
manpage for it: fluxbox-keys(5)

> The man page is rather foggy and has no mention of XkbOptions or
> XkbLayout or anything about "grp:toggle"

The X docs are a disgrace IMHO. Where are the docs about the new
options such as dontZap etc? They don't seem to exist.</rant>

[snip]

Regards,

--

 Frank