How to read files from FAT disk which names contain Chinese characters?

Yuri yuri at rawbw.com
Mon Mar 30 21:26:35 PDT 2009

When I mount FAT disk all such files cause 'ls' to produce messages like
this:
ls: WS???????.WMA: Invalid argument

I found online that I should use command:
mount_msdosfs -D cp936 -L zh_CN.UTF-8 /dev/device /path/to/folder
but it doesn't work either.

Handbook (http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/books/handbook/lang-setup.html)
mentions
that in order to be able to see Russian file names fstab has to contain
this:

/dev/ad0s2      /dos/c  msdos   rw,-Wkoi2dos,-Lru_RU.KOI8-R 0 0

But what about Chinese file names?

And how come different locales require different commands to mount?
What if file system will have both Chinese and Russian file names?

Thanks,
Yuri