Why?? (prog question)

Gary Kline kline at thought.org
Mon Mar 30 19:57:33 PDT 2009

people, i've been under the weather for days and will probably be for a few more.
new  and TEMPORARY meds dont like me, ugh.

can anybody clue me in why the followin joinline program fails to catch if argc == 1?

/*
 * simple prog to join all | very nearly all lines of a text file that
 * make up one paragraph into one LONG line.
 *
 * paragraphs are delimiated by a single \n break.
 */

#include <stdio.h>
#include <string.h>
#include <stdlib.h>

main(int argc, char argv[])
{
   char buf[65536];

   if (argc == 1)
   {
	printf("Usage: %s < file > newfile\n", argv[0]);
	exit (-1);
   }
   while (fgets(buf, sizeof buf, stdin) )
   {