bash suddenly doesn't like $() syntax

Lowell Gilbert freebsd-questions-local at be-well.ilk.org
Sat Mar 21 12:19:13 PDT 2009

Chuck Robey <chuckr at telenix.org> writes:

> I've had stuff like this happen to me, once in a while.  it's NEVER a fact of
> bash really suddenly losing something so major.  What you have to is to look at
> previous parts of your code, for things like unclosed parens, unclosed quotes,
> things like that.  The errors aren't overly helpful, but if you look at previous
> lines, you'll find it there, believe me.

That happens, but was not the case in this instance.

A particular syntax really did break in bash if you compiled it with our
system yacc(1).  I don't know whether the problem was in yacc or in the
bash build assuming Gnuisms from bison, but bash really was broken for a
while on $(...) formulations.

		http://be-well.ilk.org/~lowell/