Creating a 10km wireless bridge...pointers?

Craig Russell crussell_1969 at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 21 08:21:35 PDT 2009

Depending upon what your budget is, Tranzeo has some excellent wireless products that are ideal for point-point links.  Encryption is built-in and they can be configured for point-point or point-multipoint (just in case the project expands).  One problem that you may run into, if both sides of the link are close to the ground, is the "fresnel zone".  If one side is higher than the other, this shouldn't be a problem.  Two self contained POE radios with built-in antanna should run you about $500 and they can be mounted on standard satellite dish arms.

I've also used mikrotik products and have generally been very happy with them.  There is a ton of functionality and I actually use two of them for my core routers at my current job.  I think for this project they are overkill and there is quite a bit of a learning curve to get them up and running.  If you don't plan on deploying anything else, I think that you will find that the tranzeo's are a simpler solution.

Craig