7.1 phpmyadmin skip logon screen?

Fbsd1 fbsd1 at a1poweruser.com
Tue Mar 17 01:38:10 PDT 2009

Matthew Seaman wrote:
> Fbsd1 wrote:
>> In 7.1 phpmyadmin now drops you into a logon screen.
>> How do I stop this function and always go to main menu screen?
>
> That's nothing to do with the FreeBSD version -- phpMyAdmin works the
> same on any platform.
>
> To make phpMyAdmin auto-login to a DB, you need to use 'config'
> authentication mode.
>
>   http://www.phpmyadmin.net/documentation/#authentication_modes
>
> It's probably the least secure authentication mode provided, so you
> should take further steps in your Apache config to stop the world
> gaining access to your database.
>
>     Cheers,
>
>     Matthew

Read the user id info on mysql and phpmyadmin. It's so much overkill.
Don't need to secure then at all. I have inhouse development box on
private lan and mysql has always worked just fine with superuser mysql
id of root without password. In the previous version of phpmyadmin no
login id was required and I was able to see my DB definitions. Tried to
setup config.inc.php by adding statement
$cfg['Servers'][$i]['user']   = 'root';  but no joy.

What is needed in config.inc.php to allow the default mysql superuser
user id root full access in phpmyadmin?