issues in XFCE 4.6

Manolis Kiagias sonic2000gr at gmail.com
Sun Mar 15 15:12:24 PDT 2009

Keith Seyffarth wrote:
> Well, I finally got XORG to install again, and then installed XFCE
> 4.6. Still no menus, and huge screen resolution. However,
> Ctl-Alt-[Keypad Minus] will zoom in on part of the desktop area,
> making text at least readable on screen.
>
> Any other suggestions on getting XFCE to have its menu again? Or on
> just manually a) launching the settings manager, or b) editing the
> settings manually?

You could try hitting ALT+F2 and typing xfce4-settings-manager or
xfce4-settings-editor to run these.
As for the screen resolution, I upgraded one more machine today and it
went down to 1024x768 instead of 1280x1024.
This was the only machine I had had in the past to adjust resolution by
using XFCE's display applet. Every other machine would start directly at
the correct resolution. In the previous XFCE version, the Display applet
would correctly set this, but not in 4.6. Although the correct
resolution was selectable, it just resulted to a blank screen.
Finally, I used xrandr to adjust the resolution. This maybe of some help
to you as well:

Open an Xterm or Terminal and type:

xrandr

You should see a list of modes. Select the desired one from the list and
count from the top, starting with zero. For example, to select the third
resolution from the list, type:

xrandr -s 2

If this works correctly, add

xrandr -s 2 &

in your .xinitrc just before the exec startxfce4 part, so it starts
every time.