bsd vs gpl

Saifi Khan saifi.khan at twincling.org
Thu Mar 12 18:24:34 PDT 2009

On Thu, 12 Mar 2009, Wojciech Puchar wrote:

> > The ACM Queue (1 May 2004) article by Jay Michaelson of Wasabi
> > Systems is very insightful.
> >
> > "There is no such thing as Free (Software) lunch"
> >
> > Please take a look at
> > http://queue.acm.org/detail.cfm?id=1005066
> >
> > In 2009, you would like your product (esp infrastructure product
> > or platform) to reach out to as many people as possible and be
> > used in as many ways possible.
>
> not always true.

Let me re-state for your benefit:

 In 2009, you would like your product (esp infrastructure
 product or platform) "benefits" to reach to as many people as
 possible and be "useful" in as many ways possible

> > BSD / ASL 2.0 license precisely help one accomplish that in a
> > very benign way.
>
> generally true, anyway i don't consider wasabysystems (destroyers of NetBSD)
> as a reference.

Do you have any credible proof ?

This link may help you
http://mail-index.netbsd.org/netbsd-users/2006/08/30/0016.html

My suggestion, an objective assessment of the situation for what
it is and not what it seems to be is more beneficial. This also
helps us avoid 'fuzzy' to 'vague' observations like:
 . generally true
 . somewhat true
 . not always true
 . not always false