Anonymizer tool like Tor?

Bob Hall rjhjr at cox.net
Thu Mar 12 10:40:51 PDT 2009

On Thu, Mar 12, 2009 at 03:04:05PM +0000, RW wrote:
> On Thu, 12 Mar 2009 11:38:13 +0100 (CET)
> Wojciech Puchar <wojtek at wojtek.tensor.gdynia.pl> wrote:
>

> > set up tor and use it as socks proxy with your browser and python
> > script.
> >
> > You don't need privoxy for that.
>
> but isn't the point of of using privoxy to strip identifying
> information from http requests  that would otherwise undermine tor.

It's been a while since I played with tor, but I recall that the
documentation said that you have to combine tor and privoxy (or the
equivalent) in order to surf anonymously. On the other hand, Giles is
using his own script run from the command line, rather than a web
browser, so I assume that he won't write the script to send info that he
wants to hide.

It would probably be a good idea check the http requests that are sent
externally and see what info is being passed with them. Then he can
determine for himself if he needs anything more than tor.

Just my uninformed opinion. :)