Disabling write cache on eSATA enclosures

FreeBSD List mlfreebsd at streamingedge.com
Wed Mar 11 13:39:56 PDT 2009

I've got an external eSATA enclosure as well which is using a Silicon
Image Chipset and its connected to a Silicon Image SATA controller just
like yours. So far, I haven't figured out how to turn off the write
cache. I even tried playing with it on Windows (both XP & Vista) and so
far, there is no way to disable it. This seems like a common problem
with Silicon Image Chipset + Silicon Image SATA controller. There's a
lot of complains on google about this but no fixes that work.

If anyone on the list has any first hand experience in resolving this,
I'm all ears.

-- Jacques Manukyan