Help required for configuring FreeBSD with DHCP

manish jain invalid.pointer at gmail.com
Tue Mar 10 06:36:55 PDT 2009

Hi all,

I have a dual boot system (FreeBSD 7.1 + Windows 2000).

I am trying out FreeBSD for the first time with an ISP who runs a DHCP
server. Until the times of static addresses, everything was so simple in
FreeBSD. Now I am forced to ask for help because the ISP is willing to
help only for Windows. And indeed my Windows 2000 is sailing the
internet smoothly enough, so I can't really blame him.

I am using a Realtek 8139D NIC on an x86 system. When I ask sysinstall
to configure rl0, it asks me whether I want to use DHCP. When I say yes,
it still gives me the same form to fill out as it does for static IP
addresses. I don't have any idea how to fill out this form when DHCP is
being used.

Please note that on Windows, the following are enabled :
1) Obtain an IP address automatically
2) Obtain DNS server address automatically

Everything else (IP address/Default dateway/etc) is greyed out. Can
anyone please tell me how to get my FreeBSD system up on DHCP. The only
other piece of information I can provide is the hostname I have been
using so far : unxfbsdi.freebsd.localdomain

Thanks in advance for any help.

Regards
Manish Jain
invalid.pointer at gmail.com