Health Monitoring on Dell 600SC

Dan Mahoney, System Admin danm at prime.gushi.org
Sun Mar 8 01:04:21 PST 2009

On Sun, 8 Mar 2009, Polytropon wrote:

> On Sat, 7 Mar 2009 23:04:45 -0500 (EST), "Dan Mahoney, System Admin" <danm at prime.gushi.org> wrote:
>> Hey all,
>>
>> I've got a dell 600SC in a remote location, and it's started freezing up
>> (I'm thinking I've got a dying fan).
>
> I'm not familiar with this special Dell system, but maybe the
> tools mbmon and healthd (from ports) can help you to monitor
> at least fan speeds and temperatures (as well as voltages).
> They're using the kernel's SMB facility.

pciconf -l -v doesn't show an smbus on this system, even with the kernel
options compiled in.

healthd, I've tried, and it talks to some chips directly, but it hasn't
been updated in forever.

bsdhwmon looks like it did two releases and went unsupported, reports this
board as unsupported.

It would appear that older linux kernels find the hardware as follows on
this link http://hausheer.osola.com/docs/8 (I realize BSD and linux are
different, but perhaps the output there could help someone to know if
something there is supported).

Sadly, porting lm_sensors to BSD is hard because of all the kernel
dependencies and abstraction.  But something more "universal" under BSD as
opposed to several years-outdated ports would be REALLY COOL.

-Dan