How do I determine the FreeBSD "world" revision/version?

Jamie jamie at gnulife.org
Fri Mar 6 12:49:57 PST 2009

    Ian,

    You can do a: "less /var/run/dmesg.boot" and near the beginning of the
output it displays your system build:

FreeBSD is a registered trademark of The FreeBSD Foundation.
FreeBSD 6.3-RELEASE-p3 #3: Wed Jul 16 14:51:34 CDT 2008
     james at example.foo.net:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/BSNI

   This says 6.3 RELEASE, and it will also give the patchlevel (p3)

      - Jamie

   "Wherever you go, there you are!"