port / portupgrade hangs

Kent Stewart kstewart at owt.com
Mon Mar 2 07:38:59 PST 2009

On Monday 02 March 2009 06:54:21 am Pieter Donche wrote:
> Sometimes (not often) when installing ports from the ports collection or
> upgrading ports (via portupgrade -R) when fetching some needed tar.gz
> file, the fetch hangs, just like now:
>
> => rdiff-backup-1.2.6.tar.gz doesn't seem to exist in
> /usr/ports/distfiles/.
> => Attempting to fetch from
> http://download.savannah.gnu.org/releases/rdiff-backup/.
> fetch:
> http://download.savannah.gnu.org/releases/rdiff-backup/rdiff-backup-1.2.6.t
>ar.gz: Moved Temporarily
> => Attempting to fetch from
> http://ftp.cc.uoc.gr/mirrors/nongnu.org/rdiff-backup/.
> rdiff-backup-1.2.6.tar.gz                      43% of  191 kB  107 kBps
>
> This is now immobile for over an hour ...
>
> Up to now when such a hang occured, I just waited and waited and
> eventually it would continue and finish the job.
>
> But, is there a safe way to do a retry?
> I dare not just do a Ctrl-C and issue
> # portupgrade -R rdiff-backup
> again, since I have no no clue what could go wrong if one does that ...
>
> Or is it save to do Ctrl-C and try again?

It should be safe to do the Ctrl-c. You are doing a fetch. What can go wrong?
If you only have a partial distfile, and portupgrade can't handle that, at
the worst, you cd /usr/ports/distfiles, remove the partial file, and try
again. Things only get messy if you kill a job during an install. Since
nothing has been added to the port database, you can probably just install it
again.

I did a portupgrade -FN rdiff-backup-1.2.6,1 and was able to download the
distfile. I only saw 18KBps, which I assume means there are a other people
doing a fetch from that site.

Kent
--
kent Stewart