portmanager/portmaster like application for packages?

perryh at pluto.rain.com perryh at pluto.rain.com
Sun Mar 1 15:13:08 PST 2009

Mel <fbsd.questions at rachie.is-a-geek.net> wrote:

> On Saturday 28 February 2009 23:06:10 Fbsd1 wrote:
> > I am looking for software like portmanager/portmaster but works
> > on the package system instead of the port system. Is there such
> > am application available?
>
> Not (yet). Without /usr/ports it's impossible to find out what
> software needs updating, or you'd have to download and trust the
> INDEX-7 on the FreeBSD package servers.

... which may not be much of a stretch for those who are prepared
to download and trust the packages themselves, from the same place.

portupgrade -PP manages somehow.  BTW, the OP may not realize that
"the package system" is a subset of "the port system", rather than
an alternative.  Packages are generated using the port system.