xi?

Mel fbsd.questions at rachie.is-a-geek.net
Sun Mar 1 00:19:12 PST 2009

On Saturday 28 February 2009 20:12:43 Glyn Millington wrote:
> gahn <ipfreak at yahoo.com> writes:
> > Hi all:
> >
> > I am rebuilding those ports and run into some problems. one of those
> > is:
> >
> > checking for XINPUT... configure: error: Package requirements (x11 xext
> > xi >= 1.2 inputproto >= 1.5) were not met:
> >
> > Requested 'xi >= 1.2' but version of Xi is 1.1.3
> >
> > searching for a while and can't find this "xi". how could I upgrade
> > this "xi"?
>
> /usr/ports/X11/libXi  would be my guess :-)

The long answer:
- this is an error from pkg-config
- pkg-config stores version information in .pc files
- xorg uses descriptive names for these modules, which don't always match the
capitalization or lib prefix of the port, but sometimes does.
- /usr/ports/Mk/bsd.xorg.mk maps the .pc files to the port directories

Therefore, to find out:
$ grep xi.pc /usr/ports/Mk/bsd.xorg.mk
xi_LIB_PC_DEPENDS=              ${LOCALBASE}/libdata/pkgconfig/xi.pc:
${PORTSDIR}/x11/libXi

--
Mel

    and never get to the software part.