Adding data to existing CD/DVD

Carmel NY carmel_ny at hotmail.com
Sat Jun 27 10:28:22 UTC 2009

On Fri, 26 Jun 2009 16:40:46 -0400
Lowell Gilbert <freebsd-questions-local at be-well.ilk.org> wrote:

> You need to *not* fixate the disk, and on subsequent sessions you need
> to tell mkisofs where to start the new image.  The burning command
> also needs to know that it's a multi-session disk.  See the "-C"
> option for mkisofs, and the "-multi" option for cdrecord.
>
> My crib sheet for burning disks provides an example:
>
> # first session
> TZ=UTC-5 mkisofs -R $filenames |cdrecord -v driveropts=burnfree -multi
> -data -tao -
>
> #other sessions
> OFST=`cdrecord -msinfo`
> echo $OFST
> TZ=UTC-5 mkisofs -M $dv -C $OFST -R $filenames |cdrecord -v
> driveropts=burnfree -tao -multi -data -eject -

OK, using your instructions, I am able to create the disk just fine.
However, when I attempt to add data to it, it bombs out.

I created a script and then used it to try and add two files to the
disk using your instructions.

This is the output:

$ Update-CD.sh Joker-1.csv k3b.txt
Joker-1.csv k3b.txt
0,11702
Cdrecord-Clone 2.01 (i386-unknown-freebsd7.2) Copyright (C) 1995-2004 J\ufffdrg Schilling
TOC Type: 1 = CD-ROM
cdrecord: Operation not permitted. WARNING: Cannot do mlockall(2).
cdrecord: WARNING: This causes a high risk for buffer underruns.
cdrecord: Operation not permitted. WARNING: Cannot set RR-scheduler
cdrecord: Permission denied. WARNING: Cannot set priority using setpriority().
cdrecord: WARNING: This causes a high risk for buffer underruns.
mkisofs: Invalid argument. Open by 'devname' not supported on this OS. Cannot open SCSI driver.
mkisofs: Invalid argument. Unable to open previous session image -C
scsidev: '3,0,0'
scsibus: 3 target: 0 lun: 0
Using libscg version 'schily-0.8'.
Driveropts: 'burnfree'
SCSI buffer size: 64512
atapi: 0
Device type    : Removable CD-ROM
Version        : 0
Response Format: 1
Vendor_info    : 'PHILIPS '
Identifikation : 'DVD8801         '
Revision       : 'GW02'
Device seems to be: Generic mmc2 DVD-R/DVD-RW.
Current: 0x0009
Profile: 0x002B
Profile: 0x001B
Profile: 0x001A
Profile: 0x0016
Profile: 0x0015
Profile: 0x0014
Profile: 0x0013
Profile: 0x0011
Profile: 0x0010
Profile: 0x000A
Profile: 0x0009 (current)
Profile: 0x0008
cdrecord: This version of cdrecord does not include DVD-R/DVD-RW support code.
cdrecord: If you need DVD-R/DVD-RW support, ask the Author for cdrecord-ProDVD.
cdrecord: Free test versions and free keys for personal use are at ftp://ftp.berlios.de/pub/cdrecord/ProDVD/
Using generic SCSI-3/mmc   CD-R/CD-RW driver (mmc_cdr).
Driver flags   : MMC-3 SWABAUDIO BURNFREE
Supported modes: TAO PACKET SAO SAO/R96R RAW/R16 RAW/R96R
Drive buf size : 1073152 = 1048 KB
FIFO size      : 4194304 = 4096 KB
Track 01: data  unknown length
Total size:        0 MB (00:00.00) = 0 sectors
Lout start:        0 MB (00:02/00) = 0 sectors
Current Secsize: 2048
ATIP info from disk:
  Indicated writing power: 5
  Is not unrestricted
  Is not erasable
  Disk sub type: Medium Type A, high Beta category (A+) (3)
  ATIP start of lead in:  -11634 (97:26/66)
  ATIP start of lead out: 359846 (79:59/71)
Disk type:    Short strategy type (Phthalocyanine or similar)
Manuf. index: 3
Manufacturer: CMC Magnetics Corporation
cdrecord: WARNING: Total disk size unknown. Data may not fit on disk.
cdrecord: Operation not permitted. WARNING: Cannot set RR-scheduler
cdrecord: Permission denied. WARNING: Cannot set priority using setpriority().
cdrecord: WARNING: This causes a high risk for buffer underruns.
Starting to write CD/DVD at speed 32 in real TAO mode for multi session.
Last chance to quit, starting real write    0 seconds. Operation starts.
Waiting for reader process to fill input buffer ... input buffer ready.
cdrecord: Premature EOF on stdin.
cdrecord: Input buffer error, aborting.
cdrecord: fifo had 1 puts and 0 gets.
cdrecord: fifo was 0 times empty and 0 times full, min fill was 100%.

As you can see, nothing was written. I am using brand new CD/R disks
that work on other platforms so I don't think that is the problem.
since I can create the original disc, I can obviously write to one. do
you have any ideas what the problem might be?

Thanks!

--
Carmel
carmel at hotmail.com

WARNING TO ALL PERSONNEL: Firings will continue until morale improves.