The question of moving vi to /bin

Gary Kline kline at thought.org
Fri Jun 26 04:19:51 UTC 2009

On Fri, Jun 26, 2009 at 09:50:31AM +0800, Erich Dollansky wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 26 June 2009 am 09:06:49 Giorgos Keramidas wrote:
> > On Fri, 26 Jun 2009 08:20:19 +0800, Erich Dollansky
> <erich at apsara.com.sg> wrote:

> > > I do not believe you. This must have been 30 years back.
> >
> > As far as 16 years back, VT220/VT320 terminals were in wide use
> > in universities.  Some of us learned our first regexp stuff by
>
> not only there, but ed was not the editor of choice even those
> days anymore.
>
> > reading the source of ed(1) and typing small programs in those
> > terminals.  vi(1) was available for a long time before 1993,
> > but this doesn't mean other editors had died out by then :)
>
> If I remember right, I used something like ed only in the
> Seventies.
>
> A collegue programmed then even a WordStar clone for RSX to have a
> nice editor.
>
> Of course, only for VT-100 Terminals.

	This is interesting.  I learned vi on an ADM-3A, late-70's.
	And, *YES*, it is in /rescue!   :-D

	Would not just a symlink work on build?  Or since it's < 3700
	blocks, why not default build in in /bin too?  I mean, come on,
	you guys... .

	gary

       For FBSD list: http://transfinite.thought.org/slicejourney.php
    The 4.98a release of Jottings: http://jottings.thought.org/index.php