The question of moving vi to /bin

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Fri Jun 26 02:02:39 UTC 2009

On Fri, 26 Jun 2009 09:55:48 +0800, Erich Dollansky <erich at apsara.com.sg> wrote:
> this is not what I mean. I wanted to say, as long as the boot disk
> come up, I also have /usr available when I have the space to have
> it all on the same disk.

I see. The fact that /usr isn't available after booting in
maintenance mode (SUM) is often important for recovery
purposes. The OS leaves it to the admin to take such important
decisions. :-)

> > The good thing about vi - yes, there is such a thing - is the
> > fact that it even works completely under the weirdest
> > circumstances, e. g. if you are on a terminal line that does
> > not have cursor keys or function keys, then you can still
> > use the full power of vi, as long as you know how to master
> > it, but that's true for anything in the UNIX world.
> >
> Aren't all - or at least most - of the Unix editors like this?

I think most of them are. But, for example, I don't think that
the mcedit (Midnight Commander's editor) is very usable without
cursor and function keys...

> > > But isn't there emacs in the ports too?
> >
> > Sure, let's take emacs into the OS, as well as any other editor
> > one could imagine. And because most people like graphical
> > applications, let's include OpenOffice for editing
> > configuration files in maintenance mode. :-)
>
> Yes, this is the idea of the ideas.
>
> But why don't we take Microsoft Word running under wine?
>
> I mean, if we strike, we should have a real strike.

That's a very good suggestion. But let's take into mind that we
do need the most advanced and modern MICROS~1 technology, so
FreeBSD should include a pirated copy of "Windows 7" in order
to run the latest and most expensive pirated copy of "Office",
programmed in Java, running through "Flash". With music. And
dancing puppies.

If - then real. :-)

--
Polytropon