The question of moving vi to /bin

Giorgos Keramidas keramida at ceid.upatras.gr
Fri Jun 26 01:06:54 UTC 2009

On Fri, 26 Jun 2009 08:20:19 +0800, Erich Dollansky <erich at apsara.com.sg> wrote:
>On 25 June 2009 pm 19:13:14 Konrad Heuer wrote:
>> Maybe you're right, maybe not.
>>
>> 20 years ago, I've written and edited voluminous fortran code
>> on a silly rs232 terminal using ed. So, it is possible, and one
>
> I do not believe you. This must have been 30 years back.

As far as 16 years back, VT220/VT320 terminals were in wide use
in universities.  Some of us learned our first regexp stuff by
reading the source of ed(1) and typing small programs in those
terminals.  vi(1) was available for a long time before 1993, but
this doesn't mean other editors had died out by then :)