upgrading installed ports: time to do it ?

RW rwmaillists at googlemail.com
Fri Jun 26 00:02:43 UTC 2009

On Thu, 25 Jun 2009 20:20:12 +0100
Chris Whitehouse <cwhiteh at onetel.com> wrote:

> RW wrote:

> > Portmanger does cope with most of the "portupgrade -o"  and
> > "portupgrade -r" entries, although sometime it will need to be run
> > (or rerun) in pristine-mode.
>
> just curious, do you know this because you know how they all work or
> have you tried them. And how does portmaster fit in? Does it use the
> same 'leaf-nodes first' algorithm as portmanager?

It's leaf-last, the leaves are on the top of the tree.

All the upgrade tools build in dependency order, but portmanager also
rebuilds ports that directly depend on the ports it's upgraded
(originally it included indirect dependencies, but that's now only done
in pristine mode). In other words it, more or less, does the equivalent
of "portupgrade -fr" as a matter of course.

As regards "portupgrade -o", it depends on the circumstances. In the
case of perl5.8 to perl5.10, I would expect that it would continue with
perl5.8 until something actually needs perl5.10. It would then detect
a conflict, remove perl5.8, install perl5.10 and then rebuild everything
that depended on perl5.8. Essentially it would do the right thing. I'm
not sure about python, it's bit more complicated, but I would guess it
would be similar to perl.