mounting network NTFS drive on FreeBSD

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Thu Jun 25 18:48:30 UTC 2009

On Thu, 25 Jun 2009 20:33:12 +0200, Zbigniew Szalbot <z.szalbot at lcwords.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am trying to figure out how to mount a network NTFS drive
> (192.168.16.3\backups) on a FreeBSD system.
>
> Can you point me to the appropriate documentation? The Handbook mentions
> the mount command but I am not sure I can do it using mount? Or can I?
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/mount-unmount.html
>
> Thank you very much in advance!

Because "Windows" does not conform to standards, you have to use
mount_smbfs. As far as I understood, it doesn't even matter which
file system is on the "Windows" disk.

I will give an example.

First, set up those in your /etc/fstab (makes things more easy):

	//Administrator at NTWS2KXX/a$ /smb/a smbfs rw,noauto 0 0
	//Administrator at NTWS2KXX/c$ /smb/c smbfs rw,noauto 0 0
	//Administrator at NTWS2KXX/d$ /smb/d smbfs rw,noauto 0 0
	//Administrator at NTWS2KXX/e$ /smb/e smbfs rw,noauto 0 0
	//Administrator at NTWS2KXX/f$ /smb/f smbfs rw,noauto 0 0

Then, make /etc/nsmb.conf look like this:

	[default]
	workgroup=ARBEITSGRUPPE
	[NTWS2KXX]
	addr=192.168.16.3
	[NTWS2KXX:Administrator]
	password=

You can then simply issue

	# mount /smb/c

You can check out manpages for:
	mount_smbfs
	fstab
	nsmb.conf

Then, I'm sure, how you can add a directory name as you mentioned
above (\backups). I think that's possible, too.

--
Polytropon
>From Magdeburg, Germany
Happy FreeBSD user since 4.0