PPPoE trouble handshaking

Nikos Vassiliadis nvass9573 at gmx.com
Thu Jun 25 14:04:50 UTC 2009

budsz wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 25, 2009 at 3:53 PM, Nikos Vassiliadis<nvass9573 at gmx.com> wrote:
>> budsz wrote:
>>> I got problem with FreeBSD 7.2-STABLE as router. I use TPLINK modem as
>>> bridging to my box.
>> Could you run "tcpdump -ni rl1" while trying and post
>> it to the list?
>
> If problem appear, I will do it. This problem not regularly, I got the
> same problem 2 week ago and today. I don't know what happen exactly,
> but I can dialing again after 3 hours.

So, your configuration works, but at times it gets disconnected.
And when that disconnection happens, it fails to re-connect. That
means that if you pull the modem's power plug, you'll be able to
establish a connection after some time and not immediately, right?

1) You should also "enable echo" along with "enable lqr".

When you pull the FreeBSD's ethernet plug does it work?
2) You should watch the logs and wait for it to disconnect, plug
the ethernet in and wait to re-connect on its own.

3) Then you should try the same with the DSL line, pull the plug
from the modem and it should behave the same way, that is
disconnect and re-connect on its own.

Do these three steps and if everything works, wait for the
random disconnection to happen. It should behave the same way.

tcpdump is your friend while trying the above.

HTH, Nikos