Versioning File System for FreeBSD?

cpghost cpghost at cordula.ws
Wed Jun 24 22:05:37 UTC 2009

On Wed, Jun 24, 2009 at 11:26:50PM +0200, Morten Grunnet Buhl wrote:
> * cpghost <cpghost at cordula.ws> [2009-06-24 17:04 +0200]:
> > Hi,
> >
> > is there anybody working on a versioning file system for FreeBSD
> > right now?
>
> - I don't know how fare along hammerfs is in being ported to FreeBSD.
>   But from what I have heard, feature-wise, it might be something that
>   meets your needs.

Ah, yes, that's interesting too. I'll investigate it. Thanks for
the hint!

>   An alternative could be ZFS with its snapshot ability.

IMHO, ZFS snapshots are a little bit too coarse versioning for what
I have in mind. I'm seeking something more precise. Not entirely
a subversion-on-filesystem replacement, but rather close, if possible.

Thanks,
-cpghost.

--
Cordula's Web. http://www.cordula.ws/