you're not going to believe this.

Gary Kline kline at thought.org
Wed Jun 24 20:20:54 UTC 2009

On Wed, Jun 24, 2009 at 11:48:00AM -0700, Charlie Kester wrote:
> On Wed 24 Jun 2009 at 02:32:24 PDT freebsd at t41t.com wrote:
> >
> >The lifetime and reliability of SSDs are less-than-or-equal-to the
> >lifetime and reliability of spinning magnetic drives, so don't buy an SSD
> >for that. Whether SSDs use less power is an open question. There's a lot
> >of data going either way. The last comparison I saw suggested spinning
> >drives average less power than their SSD counterparts. In any event, it's
> >not clear-cut yet. SSDs probably do generate less heat (but I've not seen
> >data on that). Of course, the access time on an SSD is order(s) of
> >magnitude less than for a spinning drive, and that's cause enough for
> >lots of people to buy one.
>
> SSD's are/should also be favored in devices that are prone to mechanical
> shocks.  E.g., tablet PC's, and handheld devices like cellphones, music
> players or game players.

	Interesting details.  I was a hardware logic major, not software,
	but I got shunted into software and went withthe flow.  To all
	the comments, pro/con, it looks that my earlier projection was
	right.  It will indeed be awhile before there are reliable
	solid-state devs that can replace the spinning disk.  And even
	then, cross-backups and even having a tape backup of critical
	data is a must.

	That said, I still want to buy one of these sub-mini notebooks
	this summer.
       For FBSD list: http://transfinite.thought.org/slicejourney.php
    The 4.98a release of Jottings: http://jottings.thought.org/index.php