you're not going to believe this.

David Kelly dkelly at hiwaay.net
Tue Jun 23 20:14:36 UTC 2009

On Tue, Jun 23, 2009 at 09:46:01PM +0200, Wojciech Puchar wrote:
> >>and lifetime.
> >
> >Even a flash filesystem will have to do wear levelling.
>
> yes - but it don't have to copy blocks that are free. with disk
> emulation - it doesn't know anything about filesystem and don't know
> what blocks are free.

If it is swapping from heavily used blocks to lightly used blocks then
"so what" if there is an "unnecessary" read/write? Perhaps its harder to
determine if unused than to simply move the data. I seem to recall
something like this in comments in the FreeBSD virtual memory manager in
6.0-RELEASE.

Don't want to leave the old data laying around for security reasons so
even if the blocks are unused the formerly heavily used blocks need to
be scrubbed.

As I originally said to Gary Kline, "Don't let someone scare you away
from the 99.8% solution waiting on the 99.9% solution."

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly at HiWAAY.net