Can't boot 7.2-RELEASE i386 or AMD64 on an Abit KV8 Pro motherboard with Sempron 3100+ CPU

Mark Busby redtick at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jun 23 19:02:43 UTC 2009

--- On Tue, 6/23/09, ericr <erobison at gmail.com> wrote:

> From: ericr <erobison at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: Can't boot 7.2-RELEASE i386 or AMD64 on an Abit KV8 Pro  motherboard with Sempron 3100+ CPU
> To: "Kent Stewart" <kstewart at owt.com>, freebsd-questions at freebsd.org
> Date: Tuesday, June 23, 2009, 12:44 PM
> On Sat, Jun 20, 2009 at 3:10 PM, Kent
> Stewart <kstewart at owt.com>
> wrote:
>
> > On Saturday 20 June 2009 11:00:45 am ericr wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > As the subject says, I can't get the 7.2-RELEASE
> i386 CD to boot on a
> > > system that has:
> > >
> > > Abit KV8 Pro (K8T800P-8237-6A7L1A1BC-26)
> motherboard with the most recent
> > > BIOS - BIOS release 26 4/20/2007
> > > (
> > >
> > http://www.abit.com.tw/page/en/motherboard/motherboard_detail.php?pMODEL_NA
> > >ME=KV8+Pro&fMTYPE=Socket+754)
> > >
> > > An AMD Sempron 3100+ 1.8Ghz CPU
> > >
> > > 1 Gb RAM
> > >
> > > An ATI 1050 256mb AGP video card
> > >
> > > I think I have turned off everything ACPI related
> in the BIOS setup.
> > >
> > > When I boot the i386 ISO, the kernel boots to the
> point of probing the
> > PCI
> > > bus and then hangs completely, even the keyboard
> is locked up.
> > >
> > > I've unplugged all the disks, so the only things
> in the system are the CD
> > > drive, the floppy drive, and the video card.
> > >
> > > I have turned off acpi at boot time, and when I
> boot the i386 ISO
> > > verbosely, the last few lines the kernel spews
> are:
> > >
> > > pci_open(1): mode 1 addr port (0x0cf8) is
> 0x8000c060
> > > pci_open(1a): mode1res=0x80000000 (0x80000000)
> > > pci_cfgcheck: device 0 [class=060000] [hdr=80] is
> there (id=02821106)
> > > pcibios: BIOS version 2.10
> > > pcib0: <MPTable Host-PCI bridge> pcibus 0
> on motherboard
> > > pci0: <PCI Bus> on pcib0
> > > pci0: domain=0, physical bus=0
> > >
> > > There's no PCI cards plugged in, just the AGP
> video card.
> > >

> > > When I try booting the AMD64 ISO, the boot loader
> runs, I get the boot
> > > menu, and regardless of what boot options I give
> the kernel, I get the
> > > message "CPU doesn't support long mode" and then
> I get the OK prompt.
> > >

> > > I'm pretty sure it doesn't have a h/w problem,
> it'll boot and install
> > > Fedora 11, Win2K, WinXP, and runs every DOS based
> diagnostic app I can
> > find
> > > with no problems.
> > >
> > > Anyone have any suggestions, or should I file a
> PR?
> >
> > Did you follow the suggestion on the release
> announcement of using the
> > other
> > CDs and switching before you start the install.
>

> Yes.  None of the FreeBSD kernels will boot on this
> system.  Doesn't matter
> if I use the livefs disk, or the install disk, it only gets
> [...]

I'll risk the flames, and say go back to basics.

Make sure of the drive cabling and jumpers.

I was reloading a home-grown nas the other day and the cable and jumpers gave me a bugger of a time. 7.2 would start to boot and then just hang. I unplugged everything except the harddrive on the primary and the optical drive on the secondary. After the OS was loaded, I was able move everything where I wanted.