self-serving redeux/revisited, and more questions?

Gary Kline kline at thought.org
Sun Jun 21 21:23:13 UTC 2009

On Sun, Jun 21, 2009 at 10:15:31AM -1000, Al Plant wrote:
> Gary Kline wrote:
> >On Sun, Jun 21, 2009 at 09:18:55AM -1000, Al Plant wrote:

	[[ save the electrons ]]

> ############
>
> There was a big discussion on this list about a month back about laptops.
>
> You can search for answers on our FreeBSD list or on Google.
>
> Consumer reports also had a discussion in their magazine last month.
> Many of the net book sellers are now putting Linux OS on them. But not
> all models. New Egg, Comp USA (on line) Tiger Direct etc.

	thanks for the datapoints, al.  my thought was that if i [or a
	small group of us] could get this typing-to-speech capability
	working for even $500, it would make headlines globally.  freebsd
	--or maybe pcbsd, or whatever--even linux, since i'm not
	hard-core religiously opposed to linux.  if this could work on
	portable computer with freebsd's *stability* it would be a win
	for the millions who do not have a lethal diseases but whose
	speech is too garbled for most people to understand.  (( but
	then, for these many/most/some? of these neurological disorders
	degrade so that there is a window where people Can type for
	awhile before they get too bad.))

	i finally read the glossy promo sheets on this windose device.
	it's got a hard drive, 256meg ram, 800mhz processor.  rips you
	off for 8000 bux.  that's for the basic touchscreen with a
	speaker.

	i'll poke around the rest of the weekend and see what i can
	learn.

	if this is too far OT, please write me offlist.

	gary

       For FBSD list: http://transfinite.thought.org/slicejourney.php
    The 4.98a release of Jottings: http://jottings.thought.org/index.php