The short and curlies of vista networking

Chuck Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Thu Jun 18 22:30:24 UTC 2009

On Jun 18, 2009, at 3:14 PM, Glen Barber wrote:
>> A broadcast of 255.255.255.255 is misconfigured (not saying it's not
>> gonna work, I'm saying for your network, it's not configured right).
>> you need broadcast-address 192.168.2.255
>
> That is not 100% correct.  By default, dhclient will send an initial
> DHCPREQUST to 0.0.0.0 (meaning "this network").  The request is picked
> up from the DHCP server broadcasting on 255.255.255.255.

The inconsistency between these two points might actually lead the OP
to a solution.  Evidently Vista does something different with the DHCP
broadcast flag, see:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928233

If you specify a network and netmask in the subnet statement, you
shouldn't need to override the broadcast address it computes, which
for the config posted ought to be "192.168.2.255".  Using the all-ones
broadcast address should not be done by normal members of the
network-- only for things which need to go beyond the network subnet/
topology (ie, the DHCP server itself might choose to send to
255.255.255.255 to make sure that anything else on the local collision
domain sees it, even if the local network is split into multiple
logical subnets).

Regards,
--
-Chuck