The short and curlies of vista networking

Tim Judd tajudd at gmail.com
Thu Jun 18 21:51:34 UTC 2009

Replies inline

On 6/18/09, Mel Flynn <mel.flynn+fbsd.questions at mailing.thruhere.net> wrote:
> On Thursday 18 June 2009 10:27:44 Tim Judd wrote:
>> Long ago in 2007, I saw a M$ article that describes that Vista has an
>> extremely short delay period to get an IP.  If it doesn't get it
>> within 1 second, it gives up (and maybe tries again).  Common DHCP
>> servers ping an IP address, wait 1 second for a reply, and if no
>> reply, assumes the IP is available and leases it to the booting
>> computer.
> ISC-dhcpd doesn't work that way. It keeps a lease db and assumes it's db is
> the authority on available iP's for the range.

dhcpd.conf(5)
search for ping-check or ping-timeout

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=dhcpd.conf&apropos=0&sektion=5&manpath=FreeBSD+7.2-RELEASE+and+Ports&format=html

>> Is your DHCP server authoritative?
>
> Yes:
> authoritative;
> ddns-update-style interim;
>
> subnet 192.168.2.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 {
>     range 192.168.2.200 192.168.2.254;
>
>     option subnet-mask 255.255.255.0;
>     option broadcast-address 255.255.255.255;
>     option domain-name "lan.rachie.is-a-geek.net";
>     option domain-name-servers 192.168.2.51;
>     option routers 192.168.2.1;
>
>     option ntp-servers 192.168.2.10;
>     option wpad "http://192.168.2.100/proxy.pac";
>
>     # Dynamic DNS setup
> 	<snipped for brevity>
> }

A broadcast of 255.255.255.255 is misconfigured (not saying it's not
gonna work, I'm saying for your network, it's not configured right).
you need broadcast-address 192.168.2.255

>> The other question is why you have it as a bridge, when sysctl
>> net.inet.ip.forwarding=1 might all you need.
>
> To merge wired and wireless into one network and for the firewall "one
> internal interface". Also means I can use lagg(4) on this laptop.
>
>> Another Q is why you might have a DHCP server listen on one IP (let's
>> say it's the wired interface), but not on the wifi (this wasn't clear
>> in the OP, but it might be the case).
>
> It's on the bridge and as such on both and works on both. I have an IP
> assigned to be able to move it off the gateway should the need arrise or to
> simulate a migration like that for testing, in case I need it for a client.
>
> --
> Mel

HTH