Compact Freebsd 'appliance'

Tim Judd tajudd at gmail.com
Thu Jun 18 21:18:23 UTC 2009

On 6/18/09, John Almberg <jalmberg at identry.com> wrote:

> On Jun 18, 2009, at 4:14 PM, Tim Judd wrote:
>
>> What kind of application?  This is so we can gear a hardware that is
>> powerful enough to power your application.
>>
>> Naming the application and/or website would be a good addition.
>
> It's main purpose is to fetch videos off a local server (i.e., on the
> same lan it's plugged into), convert them into flash videos, and
> upload them to a remote server.
>
> There will also be a small web application that will be used to
> manage the application.
>
> Why do we need this little box, at all? I.e., why can't the whole
> thing be done by a remote server? It probably could, but my client
> feels that this little box makes his service 'concrete' and easier to
> sell. It's something his customers can hold and marvel at.
>
> Marketing... go figure.
>
> I'm thinking something like the Intel BOXD945GCLF2D Intel Atom
> processor 330 Intel 945GC Mini ITX Motherboard/CPU Combo, might do
> the trick.
>
> -- John

John, so I'd use a system board like you described in preference to
all other boards that are referenced or called a "embedded" board.
Video processing can be very CPU intensive, plus RAM intensive.  I
didn't actually look at that product you posted, but that would be the
gear I would start looking at.

I've read reports (and forgotten it's source since then) that some
Intel Atom processors work well, some don't with FreeBSD.  This was
something I read within a couple months, so I would see if anyone here
can provide input on pros and cons on weather that particular Atom
model number is well received and well tested.

Nothing like developing a product based on inadequate or crappy
hardware OR support.  Do lots of prototypes, that's the only sure way
to test.

--Tim