Compact Freebsd 'appliance'

John Almberg jalmberg at identry.com
Thu Jun 18 19:49:31 UTC 2009

I have a client who has an application that he wants to deploy in his
customer's offices as a headless 'appliance'. Basically, just a black
box that you can plug into a Lan, turn it on, and it runs. No floppy
disk or CD, no monitor/keyboard, just remotely managed.

This application won't store any critical data, so it doesn't need
redundancy. It just needs to be reasonably reliable, compact, and quiet.

My first recommendation was to use a Mac Mini, but that excellent bit
of hardware was deemed 'not professional enough'. So now I am looking
for a compact pc that can run FreeBSD, of course. I think it probably
just needs a power supply, tiny motherboard with onboard ethernet,
usb, etc., and hard drive.

If anyone has a recommendation (or if their are any vendors lurking),
please shoot me an email off list. I'll compile a list of
recommendations and post it all at once, in case anyone else is
interested in this.

Thanks: John -- jalmberg at identry dot com