Problem authenticating with sasl in jail

Erik Norgaard norgaard at locolomo.org
Wed Jun 17 21:58:24 UTC 2009

Mel Flynn wrote:
> On Wednesday 17 June 2009 03:43:58 Erik Norgaard wrote:
>
>> I am migrating my imap server to a jail, I got the jail up and
>> cyrus-imapd starts. I have copied configuration files from the current
>> server, cyrus.conf, imapd.conf and passwd and group files. saslauthd is
>> running, yet when I try to login I get the error:
>>
>> IMAP Password:
>>                Login failed: generic failure at
>> /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.10.0/mach/Cyrus/IMAP/Admin.pm line 120
>> cyradm: cannot authenticate to server with  as cyrus
>                                             ^^
> Looks like there's missing something there. Would should be at that spot of
> the error message? Maybe a little context of line 120 in Admin.pm would help,
> for us that use dovecot.

The lines giving that error is in fact in Cyrus::IMAP::Shell.pm:

     $cyradm->authenticate(-authz => $authz, -user => $auth,
                           -mechanism => $mech, -password => $pw,
                           -tlskey => $tlskey, -notls => $notls)
       or die "cyradm: cannot authenticate to server with $mech as $auth\n";

$mech is not defined, hence the missing word. I have tried running the
script specifying a mechanism giving the same error, though some
currious difference:

jail# cyradm --user cyrus --auth plain 172.16.0.2
Password:
IMAP Password:
               Login failed: authentication failure at
/usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.10.0/mach/Cyrus/IMAP/Admin.pm line 120
cyradm: cannot authenticate to server with plain as cyrus
jail# cyradm --user cyrus --auth login 172.16.0.2
IMAP Password:
               Login failed: authentication failure at
/usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.10.0/mach/Cyrus/IMAP/Admin.pm line 120
cyradm: cannot authenticate to server with login as cyrus

Looking again on the logs:

Jun 17 23:39:17 jail imap[8412]: badlogin: jail.example.com [172.16.0.2]
plaintext cyrus at example.com SASL(-13): user not found: checkpass failed

The user cyrus exists, I can login and get shell access, but there may
be something about the realm, that causes the user not to be found? But:

jail# /usr/local/sbin/testsaslauthd -u cyrus -p secret
0: OK "Success."
jail# /usr/local/sbin/testsaslauthd -u cyrus -r example.com -p secret
0: OK "Success."

Thanks, Erik
--
Erik Nørgaard