bannerfiltering

Chris eagletree at hughes.net
Wed Jun 17 15:54:52 UTC 2009

On Jun 17, 2009, at 7:54 AM, Dave wrote:

> Hello,
> 	I've got a freebsd 7.2 machine that i need to use for banner
> filtering, addzapping and filtering out all the junk that comes
> along with
> adds windows viruses trojans things like that before they can get to
> my
> internal clients. Previously i used squid and dansguardian but found
> that
> slowed things down to a crawl and at times was to restrictive at
> times not
> restrictive enough. I've also tried squidguard but that didn't meet
> my needs
> either, it didn't seem to be being maintained.

I'm using snort_inline with FreeBSD 7.0, IPFW, and IF_BRIDGE. Massive
traffic
running through it and no performance issues. Dropping sessions is
effortless
but there are more complex ways to filter and pass which sounds like
what
you would want to do. I've not experimented with that. There isn't a
lot of
documentation on set up and what there is states that it doesn't work.
That's
out of date because it does, quite well really. The docs out there for
snort_inline
and non-bridged configurations are still useful. I don't have a link
but found
them with googling.