freebsd "toaster"

Alex Stangl alex at stangl.us
Wed Jun 17 13:11:31 UTC 2009

On Wed, Jun 17, 2009 at 11:17:32AM +0100, Chris Rees wrote:
> Just curiosity, what's wrong with source upgrading? Isn't it miles
> easier than reinstalling?

Probably nothing. I haven't done it before, so there's the usual
apprehension dealing with the unknown. I originally thought that since I
just use a generic kernel, a binary upgrade should be quickest, easiest,
and safest. Freebsd.org was touting the freebsd-update script, so that
seemed the obvious way to go.

I guess I'll clean up the mess left by freebsd-update and try the route
of upgrading via source. But then I am left wondering why the
freebsd.org site continues to recommend using freebsd-update which is
seemingly broken and unsupported, while people on the mailing list
recommend source upgrades instead.

Thanks,

Alex