Cannot login as root, exited on signal 11

Unga unga888 at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 17 03:52:56 UTC 2009

--- On Wed, 6/17/09, Tim Judd <tajudd at gmail.com> wrote:

> From: Tim Judd <tajudd at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: Cannot login as root, exited on signal 11
> To: "Unga" <unga888 at yahoo.com>
> Cc: freebsd-questions at freebsd.org
> Date: Wednesday, June 17, 2009, 2:51 AM
> On 6/16/09, Unga <unga888 at yahoo.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > --- On Tue, 6/16/09, Tim Judd <tajudd at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >
> >> From: Tim Judd <tajudd at gmail.com>
> >> Subject: Re: Cannot login as root, exited on
> signal 11
> >> To: "Unga" <unga888 at yahoo.com>
> >> Cc: freebsd-questions at freebsd.org,
> mail25 at bzerk.org
> >> Date: Tuesday, June 16, 2009, 10:10 PM
> >> su -l discards the previous
> >> environment and loads a new environment.
> >> It's as if you're "logging in" as root (-l)
> >>
> >> running su without -l will elevate your
> priveledges without
> >> this same
> >> problem, you keep the same shell.  Fix your
> shell
> >> problems via this
> >> way (or single user as originally described), and
> be
> >> careful next
> >> time.
> >>

> > Hi Tim, thanks for the reply. I have not identified
> yet the problem to be
> > solved.
> >
> > If you refer that I use bash for root is the problem,
> there is no difference
> > by switching root's shell to sh.
> >
> > With sh as the shell for root:
> > 1. Still cannot login as root from the console. Child
> process died error.
> >
> > 2. "su -l" doesn't work, child process died error.
> >
> > 3. su works. But the prompt is [\u at host name]#
> > Why it doesn't print root at host? whoami shows root.
> >
> > What is the problem you think that I should fix? any
> ideas? any thread
> > related error as the child process die when in root?
> >
> > Best regards
> > Unga
> >

> Unga,
>
> This is the first time I've read from you that you were
> using the
> recommended shell.  Given you're running the
> recommended shell and
> you're still having problems sporadically (users = ok, root
> = not),
> I'd start the invasive discovery why it's not
> working.  First is
> system-wide:
>   is your kernel version and userland in sync?
>
>   Such as RELENG_7 userland with RELENG_7
> kernel?  Running
> non-synchronized kernel and userland (aka world) is not
> supported* and
> will cause problems.
>

> Back to the individualized problem -- if you backup your
> root's
> dotfiles, and then remove or rename them, does the problem
> remain?
> What if you set root's home directory to one of your user's
> home
> directory as a test to see if it's the dotfiles?

> [...]

Dear Tim

I suspect this is a build error. Therefore, let me rebuild and see whether the problem go away. I'm going to do a careful rebuild more towards the end of the week. I'll let the list and you know the result. If the problem still persists, I really like to know what causes it.

Best regards
Unga