Cannot login as root, exited on signal 11

Tim Judd tajudd at gmail.com
Tue Jun 16 18:51:52 UTC 2009

On 6/16/09, Unga <unga888 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> [...]

Unga,

This is the first time I've read from you that you were using the
recommended shell.  Given you're running the recommended shell and
you're still having problems sporadically (users = ok, root = not),
I'd start the invasive discovery why it's not working.  First is
system-wide:
  is your kernel version and userland in sync?

  Such as RELENG_7 userland with RELENG_7 kernel?  Running
non-synchronized kernel and userland (aka world) is not supported* and
will cause problems.

Back to the individualized problem -- if you backup your root's
dotfiles, and then remove or rename them, does the problem remain?
What if you set root's home directory to one of your user's home
directory as a test to see if it's the dotfiles?

These would be my next steps to diagnose what might be the problem.  Good luck.

* - Only supported is when you're upgrading and have a newer kernel
just long enough to install world.